That was an unexpected long blogging break. I blame Instagram. It’s just so easy to instantly share over there that blogging seems like a huge effort in comparison. If you are on Instagram, you can find me @moonlightsewing. My feed is over there on the side bar.
I thought I would post a few Insta-highlights from my blog break and hope this is a jumping off point for more frequent updates.
I made these blocks for the Fall 2014 round of 4.x5 Modern Quilt Bee on Flickr.
I reupholstered a chair.
Finally! I’m nearly finished reupholstering this chair. Just the back and the arm rest caps to finish. A photo posted by Em Komiskey (@moonlightsewing) on
I finally finished a Christmas tree skirt, something I’ve been intending to do for 3 years!
I made this custom order clutch for a friend. More subtle than my usual style, but I love the Tula Pink fabric with the gray chevron.
I actually sewed something for myself! The circle pillow was from a workshop at Sew Me St. Louis and the dresden has been a WiP for a very long time. I kind of wish I had made them quilted pillow covers, but they are still pretty!
I made two of these tiny circle of geese pin cushions, one for my Schnitzel and Boo Mini Quilt Swap partner and one for the St. Louis Modern Quilt Guild swap.
I made this mini as a joke from some partial blocks Katherine sent me in a pile of scraps. The frog fabric is rather dreadful, and even though Katherine told me to throw it away, I’m a poor listener.
And we will end where we began, with blocks for the 4×5 Modern Quilt Bee. These are the blocks I made for the recently finished Winter 2015 round.
And with that, I hope my blogging drought has ended. I really do enjoy sharing in this space, but sometimes it’s tough to keep on top of everything. You know how that goes, right?
Oh my goodness! I found this in the depths and wanted to share it. It has been YEARS since I have done this project. Really, years. It was a “free form” quilt bee called Around the Bend and Across the Pond and started through the Old Red Barn Co. group on Flickr.
It works like this: each person in the group send out a starter piece to the next person in the group. Since this is a free form bee, we were to add whatever we wanted to and then pass it on to the next person. Ann’s quilt looked like this when it came to me:
I added a section to the bottom with an assortment of wonky stars in various sizes and colors.
I felt there was already a lot of color saturation in the quilt, so I kept a good portion of the background white, but switched it up with a couple of the stars to break up the white.
At this particular time, I actually ended up with three of the quilts at my house. Ann’s was ready to mail out, as was the one in the bottom of this photo. One of our members had to leave for personal reasons, so I kept the previous quilt and did a second addition. The third one is the one I had just received and would add to next. Fun to see the three of them together like this!
It’s time to clear out the saved posts in my drafts and show them up here. I hope to get back to posting a little more regularly after a long hiatus. Even though I made this shirt last spring, now is the perfect time to revisit it. Sierra had mustache day in school last week, but insisted that she didn’t want to wear a mustache. No problem, child, you have a mustache shirt!
The shirt is store bought, and I made it using a freezer paper stencil. I found an image that I liked and printed it off. I transferred the image to freezer paper and cut it out. I ironed the freezer paper onto the shirt where I wanted the image to be.
With the image in place, I used a stiff brush to apply fabric paint inside my stencil. In this case, I went for an ombre effect, so with each mustache, I added a little more white to my black fabric paint.
When the fabric paint had dried, I went over with a layer of glitter because … glitter!
The shirt turned out well, and the girl is happy with it!