Caramel mug rug

I continue to be amazed by the kindness and friendship I find in the online quilting community.

This winter, a friend posted a photo on Instagram of some caramels she was making. I left a comment about sharing with me, and then she messaged me and asked for my address. A few days later, I got a package in the mail filled with homemade caramels. They were delicious!

In return, I made this caramel candy mug rug. It was a quick little project, and a good chance for me to practice a little bit of free motion quilting as well. I did a little lava flow quilting in the background (my 3-year-old saw it and said “worms!”) with some pebbles in the candy.

Caramel candy mug rug

The back is just a bright bit of happy flower fabric. I like that you can see the candy shape from the quilting.

Caramel candy mug rug

I did a quick machine sewn binding with the edge plate on my walking foot.

Caramel candy mug rug

And then it was off in the mail. I really should make a mug rug for myself. I’ve sent plenty to others, but they are a great little project to have a fun bit of handmade goodness in your life everyday.

Caramel candy mug rug

St. Louis MQG Cares

Another I-actually-finished-this-awhile-ago-but-haven’t-posted-it finish.

My local Modern Quilt Guild participated in a charity sewing project at the end of last year and the beginning of this. We made pillow covers and gave them away to people receiving treatment at the Siteman Cancer Center sites here in the St. Louis area. You can read more about the project on the STLMQG Cares page.

We wanted to use high quality, beautiful fabrics and finish them in a way that would make the covers last.

IMG_1464

The envelope backs are double layer on each side and the pillow covers are finished with French seams.

IMG_1466

Members of our guild gave the first round of pillows away on Valentine’s Day and another round a little later.

IMG_1468

 

Check out more great finishes!

Crazy Mom Quilts

Thank Goodness It’s Finished Friday

Mini seat back pocket

 

I found this post in my drafts and thought that I might as well share it.

When my daughter’s kindergarten teacher learned that I was an avid seamstress, she asked if I would be willing to take on a project for her classroom. I agreed and she purchased the fabric.

Sh wanted to have a seat back pocket for each of her students so they have their desk space open but still have their work and pencil boxes close. I measure the chairs and made a couple of prototypes. This is my first prototypes:

IMG_9633

It’s a straightforward concept. One piece of fabric is folded over to create the sleeve that goes over the chair.

IMG_9634

The second piece of fabric is cut shorter and wider than the first to create a pocket with a gusset.

IMG_9635

In this first example, I sewed bias tape on all three exposed edges. Ultimately, though, I changed the construction a little bit. I sewed bias tape along the two side and then finished the bottom with a French seam. This made a nice, sturdy finish and it was less fiddly than attaching the bias tape around the corners and not eliminating the effect of the gusset.

IMG_9637

I ended up making 19 for a class of 17, so my daughter’s teacher would have a couple extra. I have some extra fabric, and I will be making a few more. My daughter’s teacher tells me that she will have a larger class next year.